Work permits in Poland – EU and EEA nationals

You are allowed to work in Poland without a work permit if you are:

  • an EU member state national;
  • a national of an EEA member state other than the EU (i.e. Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein);
  • a national of another state which is party to a free movement of people treaty concluded between that state and the European Community (for now: Switzerland),
  • a family member of a national above, i.e. his or her spouse as well as his or her descendant up to 21 years of age or depending financially on the said national.

However, the freedom to work is not absolute in the sense that there still may be some (though not very troublesome) immigration formalities to attend to, depending on the length of stay. More on this in forthcoming entries on immigration.

Related posts:


I am a foreigner – do I need a work permit to work in Poland?

The answer to this question, as to most legal questions, is “it depends…”.

  1. First, it depends on the kind of work you are going to do.
  2. Second, it depends on whether you or your relatives are citizens of a country belonging to the EU or, more broadly, to the EEA.
  3. Third, it depends on the kind of legal instrument you hold to legitimize your stay in Poland.

These issues will be discussed in greater detail in the next few posts.